Post a Reply in this thread.

Email this thread, etc.
Old 01/26/12, 03:04 pm   #1
Tom's Fork

Political Alignment:
Independent - ultra Liberal
Reputation = 171

Food Safety Issues

I had posted on a coupla other links some issues with nasty things in your food. 1tinsoldier asked me to move to this room.

I posted the following in the thread "Wow" in the Main Room. Here it is again.

I was raised on a farm, so I actually do know a little about what is going on. I have much to say about unhealthy food.

Reposted from "Wow:"

I had actually posted a coupla links in the thread "Cracked" which speak of some of the crap you're eating.

Here's another link from Cracked

I linked into Cracked because it's user-friendly, easy for the layman to understand.

For the most part, I have found Cracked to be reliable.

Manure in your food

Health issues with high-fructose corn syrup According to Mayo Clinic, research has brought forth mixed results. Apparently, I heard about one of the studies which said it's dangerous. The jury is still out.

One site to keep an eye on is the the FDA.

On January 4th of last year, President Obama signed into law the Food Safety Modernization Act. It's a start.
Tom's Fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 05:06 pm   #2
Tom's Fork

Political Alignment:
Reputation = 171

Re: Food Safety Issues

Free-basing your supper: Ammonia used in food.

Yum-yum.
Old 04/29/12, 01:38 pm   #3
Tom's Fork

Political Alignment:
Reputation = 171

Red dye #4. Cochineal. Sold under several other names, as well.

Ever wonder what is in your "all-natural foods?" Like, for example, just what is red dye #4?

Bugs.

The cochineal beetle, ground up, guts and all, imparts a red color to your food. Well, bugs are natural, aren't they? Sure, all-natural foods.

Do you have an allergy to chocolate, or peanut butter, or a number of other foods?

Is it really chocolate you're allergic to?

Uh, no, it's not the chocolate itself....

Yuchh.

Oh, I do mean it - yucch!
Old 04/29/12, 02:40 pm   #4
Magi2
POL Senator

Political Alignment:
Democrat - Liberal
Reputation = 283

why be a vegan, vegetarian........

Why? Fish is NOT so good anymore........How about a shrimp cocktail or some scampi from The polluted Gulf of Mexico:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...d-to-Shrimping
Those cochineal bugs love purple prickly pear.

Quote:
skip
Before commercial dependence on synthetic dyes, cactus plantations were planted for the production of red pigments. The red-colored fruit of Opuntia streptacantha contain betacyanins (similar to anthocyanins) that are used for food coloring. Carminic acid ( "cochineal" ( is produced by the cochineal insect that feeds on the pads and fruit, and is used in botanical stains and as a cloth dye. In the 16th century, the export of cochineal from Mexico was second in importance and monetary value only to silver. According to Cantwell-de-Trejo, there is a resurgence of interest in these natural pigments. Also, some Indian groups dry the pads, flower buds, and fruits for later boiling and eating. Young flower buds can be baked and eaten.
skip
http://sfp.ucdavis.edu/pubs/brochures/pricklypear.html
I found the little buggers on my sick cacti in AZ! Squish one and will you see RED!
Magi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/12, 06:32 am   #5
rich s.
POL Citizen

Political Alignment:
Reputation = 60

have y'all heard the woderful news?the USDA is considering privatizing poultry inspections!that is,letting poultry companies do whatever the hell they want to do without USDA oversight.what a GRAND idea,huh?yeah,we can really trust these operations to make food safety a priority!this is a HORRIFIC idea,and me being of the conspiracy mind,could this,if implemented,bring upon the long awaited&dreaded bird flu outbreak?i dunno,but i do know this aint good,and i signed a petition on moveon.org protesting this.make your voice hear,and do the same!
rich s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/12, 07:56 am   #6
Tom's Fork

Political Alignment:
Reputation = 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich s. View Post
have y'all heard the woderful news?the USDA is considering privatizing poultry inspections!that is,letting poultry companies do whatever the hell they want to do without USDA oversight.what a GRAND idea,huh?yeah,we can really trust these operations to make food safety a priority!this is a HORRIFIC idea,and me being of the conspiracy mind,could this,if implemented,bring upon the long awaited&dreaded bird flu outbreak?i dunno,but i do know this aint good,and i signed a petition on moveon.org protesting this.make your voice hear,and do the same!
Damn, will the corporatists ever find the end to all regulation?

I keep trying to get everyone here to read Heinlein's Friday. What happens when the government loses control of the corporations.
Old 08/16/12, 01:20 pm   #7
Tom's Fork

Political Alignment:
Reputation = 171

Possible good news on the food safety front.

Frankenfoods, some call them. Foods whose DNA has been artificially manipulated.

In theory, there is nothing wrong with such foods, GMOs (genetically modified organisms), since this happens on a natural basis quite frequently. Yes, in nature, different organisms sometimes share DNA, creating a new organism.

Problem is, just what is being modified, and why? And what are the consequences of eating GMOs?

Same way the mixing of different prescription drugs can cause death or other serious adverse effects, this can happen with GMOs. So that the child of two perfectly innocuous foods can cause problems. If this organism creates this protein, which causes no problems when eaten, and that organism produces that protein, also without problems, what happens when one organism produces both?

In fact, this happens in nature: Two organisms, sharing genes, can create a poisonous child. And sometimes, it takes decades for the poisons to accumulate enough to kill. And we won't know we are accumulating this poisons till it's too late.

I am not in theory against GMOs, but I am damn sure against releasing that which has not been well studied. A GMO can be created in hours; it may be years before we find out that this was not a good idea.

California has a ballot initiative to force food companies to list all GMOs in their foods. As you would expect, the big corporations, in all their greed, see loss of profit. And are raising millions to fight this.

News Daily reports
Old 08/19/12, 10:14 am   #8
Magi2
POL Senator

Political Alignment:
Democrat - Liberal
Reputation = 283

Monsanto now confirmed to have donated $4.2 million in an attempt to fight the California GMO

Quote:

skip

, Monsanto has continually shown its true allegiance does not lie with the citizens of the world. The biotech giant has already made several moves to crush GMO labeling initiatives in the past.

Back in April following the announcement of a bill centered in Vermont known as the ‘VT Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act’ that would require the labeling of genetically modified ingredients, Monsanto threatened to sue the entire state in order to prevent its passing. As a result, the bill went on hold despite a majority (6 to 5) of Agriculture Committee members actually supporting the passage of the bill. Officials actually refused to take a vote. It sounds like mafia-styled intimidation, but it is actually just business as usual.

skip
http://www.nationofchange.org/monsan...ive-1345298166
Old 09/19/12, 08:54 am   #9
Tom's Fork

Political Alignment:
Reputation = 171

Oh, ain't this sweet - the poultry industry is putting arsenic in your food.

Seems arsenic kills a bug common to poultry, and gives chicken a pretty pink color.

And it gets into your rice.

I'm a lifelong rice lover, eat a lot of it I do, and now I find a single serving of rice puts more arsenic in my system than the feds think you should get in a day.

Mother Jones article Waiter, there's arsenic in my rice
Old 09/20/12, 07:33 am   #10
Tom's Fork

Political Alignment:
Reputation = 171

U.S. needs arsenic limits in rice: Consumer Reports

Consumer Reports tested over sixty different foods, like Rice Crispies and baby foods, and found significant levels in arsenic in most of them, especially in brown rice.

Wonderful - now the big corporations are trying to poison me.

But hey, arsenic does give your chicken a pretty pink color....why are you bitchin'?
Old 09/24/12, 11:33 am   #11
Magi2
POL Senator

Political Alignment:
Democrat - Liberal
Reputation = 283

About those GM foods and spraying weeds....esp around water supplies, we sure don't need roundup herbicide to eat OR drink!
genetically modified corn

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election...beling-debate/

nor rodeo!
Old 10/26/12, 06:04 pm   #12
Tom's Fork

Political Alignment:
Reputation = 171

Interesting developments in the world of munchies: A rising movement.

Never been a food safety movement, not much, since T.Roosevelt instituted USDA food inspections. People have so many things to worry about, apparently poisons in foods ain't high on the list.

Fear thee not, a movement arises: US food movement seeks election year vault to power

Email this thread, etc.

why some ads lean right?